Celebrating over 70 Years of Christian Education
Shoreline Christian School began as an idea in the minds of Christian leaders and parents who valued Christian Education. In May of 1950, a group came together to discuss forming a school. By October of that year, they had organized “The Christian Education Society of Seattle,” now known as the “Shoreline Christian School Society”. The Society still governs the school today.
The school opened its doors in the fall of 1952 as Watson Groen Christian School. The school was named in honor of Rev. Watson Groen, who played a vital role in the organizing efforts, yet went to be with the Lord before the school opened. The first teachers served 15 students in 8 grades. The first building was dedicated in October 1953, and the first graduating class was 1958. The current school colors of green and white were chosen by the student body in 1959. With a steady pace, the school increased enrollment, expanded programs, and added facilities.
Today, SCS serves students in Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade with a full program of academics, arts, athletics, and service. In 1997, the school was renamed Shoreline Christian School to more accurately reflect its mission and its connection to the Shoreline neighborhood. The gymnasium, home of the Shoreline Christian Chargers, was rededicated as Watson Groen Memorial Gymnasium to reflect our gratitude for his role in our history.
“For as much as things change, SCS stays – creation, celebration, hospitality, connection, community. We are called to community, we are called to redemption, we are called to restore the broken, and we are called over and over again to remember who we are, children of God.”
Shoreline Christian School English Teacher
Are you a Shoreline Christian Alumni?
Make sure to stay connected by subscribing to Shoreline Christian’s weekly Charger Newsletter and our alumni newsletter, The Lance.